Monday, April 01, 2013

The Heart of a Sinful Christian

So... I have a little bit of time to spare. I thought what could I do with this time? Well of course.. write on my obscure blog that no one in their right minds would read. Excellent use of my time. If you happen to be one of those people who are not in their right minds... nothing personal. I just do not believe I am really anyone with anything to say worth reading.

 For instance... today when I sat down to write this article I had no real topic in mind. I guess my mind has really been quite full this week and for once I am getting to rest, mentally and physically. This week could very well go down in history for many reasons.. some of which I do not know... some of which have national and personal significance. I am no where near what one would call a political activist. In fact, I am somewhat of a bystander that just hopes for the best. However, this week I could not help but get emotionally interested in the cases before the Supreme Court. I do not doubt that most people in the nation became, to some degree, interested in one way or another. Some are eagerly trying to protect the traditions established through the church, others are hopingly reaching for the opportunity to be seen as equal in the eyes of the state. In the great scheme of things, I really can't help but think are these things really all that in opposition to each other.

 Church and state are, in this country, separate. This is something designed to protect both the church and the government/people. Problems arise when people seek to put the two back together when it is of benefit to them. The government is not in charge of the church, nor is the church in charge of the government. If the government allows gay marriage that is not mandating that the church recognize them, just that the state does.

It confuses me why this topic arouses such heated arguments. I am not saying that the Christian view should not be advocated, yet I am saying there is no place for the tactics used. Many arguments I have heard from the Christian standpoint are ones that convey "we have to stand strong because we are going to lose something." What I ask is this.. what do Christians.. or Christians and others against gay marriage.. have to lose if this right is granted to gays? I completely see what gays have to gain, but what is it that anyone has to lose?

I am not writing this to advocate one way or another. I do not find that is my job. I have my predictions, but that is all. I honestly feel somewhat in the middle of this argument. I have desires for my life that will be greatly affected by the decisions likely to be handed down in June. At the same time, I have fairly strong religious beliefs.. It is something that is not easily balanced.. something full of questions that I do not know the answers to. But hey.. that is something for me to work through.

The point of this post (now that I actually have a train of thought) is to communicate how powerful words are. They should be used carefully. However, both in this national realm as well as my personal realm, people have not so carefully spoken. Facebook causes people to speak more boldly... and quite frankly stupidly. It is not what you believe, nor is it the communication of those beliefs that are bad. We all have beliefs. We all have things that affect us.. that we are passionate about. It is just the way people say things. It causes a lot of people pain. This is on both sides of the argument. But, people do not understand words not spoken wisely cause pain. I can convey to someone a concept which is personal to them in a way that causes deep pain or in a way that may be uncomfortable but foster communication. Which is better? I know I would rather the latter. Too many people are backing others in a corner over this topic. This causes other to lash out and all hope of real conversation is greatly diminished.

People also must realize that not everyone has the same ability to speak into another's life. Relationships foster tough conversations. They make them possible. A complete stranger.. or even someone you have known a long time yet have not had real conversation with for a long time... causes damage when trying to communicate their concerns for another's life. My sin and sins of others are not things that can really be addressed by people I do not know or more so those I do not feel know me. Those who know me or attempt to know me, show more than just an agenda. They show that it is about more than something they disagree with... they show that it is about me as a person.

With this I want to say. I am open. I want to talk. I want to hear what you have to say. But please realize I am human, just as I realize you are. We all have our crap. I am not going to pretend to have it all figured out, but I just wish others came in to a conversation with similar humility. Convictions are one thing, but please understand none of us have everything right.

No comments: